Have you ever been just sitting down for a family dinner or relaxing on the couch about to watch a favorite program when you get a knock on the door, and who could it be, but the unfamiliar face of a door-to-door sales person?
When met with this situation, homeowners act in a variety of ways. Some politely listen to what the salesperson has to say, or skeptically take an informational pamphlet and send them on their way. In any case, the information is intriguing.
Do you find yourself wondering: are all their claims about solar energy true? At Yes Solar we want to help you sort the solar facts from the fiction and teach you the truth about solar energy; helping you make an educated decision when it comes to choosing solar for your home. As we sort through some common phrases you might hear from a Solar Salesperson, we will give you the reality behind each informational nugget. Learn more below!
Sorting Out the Facts
Many door-to-door Solar Salespeople are honest and informative in their pitch. If you hear any of the following information, you can count on it as true:
1. Solar panel usage can significantly reduce your energy cost each month and lead to immediate savings.
2. Not everyone is qualified for home solar panels. A credit check is required if the system will be financed.
3. You may be eligible for a no-money-down program where you do not have to pay anything up-front for solar.
4. In North Carolina, there is no state tax credit. However, there is a 26% federal tax credit and there is up to $4,000 in Duke rebates (if you live in Duke territory) that may be available to you for the installation of your new solar panels.
Know the False Door-to-Door Sales Pitches
On the other hand, some of the information you hear may be misleading. If a door-to-door sales person claims any of the following, you should know that it’s false:
1. If your roof gets minimal sun or faces in a direction with little to no sun exposure– you can still do solar.
It is recommended to NOT do solar panels on your roof, if you do not get a lot of sun on your rooftop.
2. Free, free, free! And there are government programs that offer free solar
Solar energy has many rebate programs and affordable payment options, but one thing is for sure: it is not free. Likewise, the dollar amount you will save monthly cannot be declared by a salesperson, rather simply guessed at. Actual savings depend on your energy usage and previous costs.
3. Qualification requires you to sign a contract.
While you may need to become prequalified, you should never be asked to sign any installation agreements before you are ready to make that decision.
4. The door-to-door sales person claims that they work on behalf of the utility company.
This is often a scam, especially if the person asks for your utility bill – do not provide this.
5. There is a rental option for solar panels
There are currently no leasing options in North Carolina.
Often, it is a visit from a door-to-door solar salesperson that leads homeowners to reach out to local solar companies for more information. They are pleasantly surprised that local companies are almost universally lower in cost than the canvassing companies.
Benefits of Using Solar
Solar energy is a safe and affordable way for homeowners to power their homes more reliably and cost-effectively. When using a reputable brand that is certified and accredited, like Yes Solar Solutions, you can rest assured that you will not be “sold” on any products that don’t fit the specifications of your home.
Work With North Carolina’s Trusted Solar Experts
Yes Solar Solutions is one of North Carolina’s leading solar installers – we’ve completed over 1,000 solar installations since 2009, and offer affordable residential and commercial solar solutions with unparalleled expertise and customer service. With solar panels, energy storage and backup systems and electric vehicle charging stations, we give our customers energy independence, saving them money and reducing their impact on the environment.
If you would like to learn more about the facts on solar solutions and how it can benefit you and your home, contact our experts online, or call our team directly at (919) 626-3257 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation today!